1½ Hours. Candidates must answer three questions.
- What traces are left of the Roman occupation of Britain?
- What was life like for a mediæval serf?
- Describe, in outline, the rise and fall of the English Empire in France.
- What part did religion play in English sixteenth century history?
- Why did the Armada fail?
- Give your reasons for thinking that the execution of Charles I was EITHER: (a) a crime OR (b) a blunder OR (c) a necessity.
- How did the inventions of the eighteenth century affect English life?
- "The British Empire," it has been said, "was acquired in a fit of absent-mindedness." Describe any episode, which in your view, does NOT support this statement.
- How did Great Britain become a democracy? Is she still?
- What things of historical interest would you look for in an old church?
Probably set by Ian Scott-Clark; contributed by John Morris, November 2007